Living with Bipolar and Depression

HOPE AND HELP FOR PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR OR DEPRESSION AND THEIR SUPPORTERS

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Why Me?!

SunFairy
Administrator

If you have bipolar disorder (or any other illness), you have probably asked this questions many times:  "Why me?  What did I do wrong?"  Or other people may ask you what you did.  Rest assured that YOU didn't do ANYTHING wrong.  You have no control over the chemical stuff happening in your brain.  You cannot help that there is an imbalance there.  But by acknowledging the problem and by getting help for your problem, YOU are taking control and that in itself is a HUGE positive step forward.

--

SunFairy

March 4, 2012 at 5:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Guess
Site Owner

the three C's help me with this issue of "why?": Cause, Control, Cure

• Cause - you (or someone else) did not cause it - even if i made wrong, unhealthy choices or inappropriate responses to life. this is a chemical condition that goes way back to who knows where. and it usually has a family and genetic history.
  • Control - you (or your loved one) has no control over this powerful, baffling and cunning illness. it will take you down if you do not manage it responsibly with professional help.
  • Cure - as yet, there is no cure for it. it is a chronic, progressive and life-threatening condition. however, it can be stabilised and treated. and that is the hope we have based on the experience of millions in treatment.
--

warm greetings,

peter guess

March 4, 2012 at 6:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SunFairy
Administrator

As always, words of wisdom.  Thanks.

--

SunFairy

March 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.