Living with Bipolar and Depression

HOPE AND HELP FOR PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR OR DEPRESSION AND THEIR SUPPORTERS

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > How to support

sunshine

Hi My husband havs been diagnosed now for about 7 years with bipolar. Let me tell you it has been hell for me, the good days are great but the bad days is hell. Some days it feels like I have another child in the house and not a partner. I have to be the head of the house and take responsibility for everything including his illness. Somedays it just feels too much. After 6 weeks of shouting he went to his doctor and got extra meds he was only on lamictin 250mg. It is going better but for how long......  

--
September 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sunshine

Have to says am feeling much better the new medication seems to work. He takes it in the afternoon and it brings him out of the sleepy angry state he gets into in the afternoons.

I can not explain in word how nice it is to get home form work and driving the kids around to a normal happy husband that remembers things that was discussed.

I hope it lasts for a while it will give me a rest period.

September 7, 2011 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rubye tuesday

:/:roll:Sunshine I have great empathy for you.  I have bi-polar disorder and its hell being a wife and mom.  Our lives have been like a roller coaster ride.  I moved out to California at the beginning of last year for few months to stay with my daughter-in-law and little granddaughter when my son was stationed in Irac for 7 months.  Just before he left my daughter-in-law found out she was pregnant.  A month later I had a bi-polar episode.  When mania set in I was moving so fast I couldn't sit still, talking so fast I didn't make sense and not sleeping at night.  The mania was crazy but the depression that followed a month later was worse.  I felt so awful I couldn't remember what I had for breakfast,  had little patience for my spoiled granddaughter or my daughter-in-laws unhealthy eating habits and smoking while pregnant.  We all had a tough time during the time I was with them.  When I started the mania I didn't have strong enough medications so the mania was high.  Without being able to check the mania quickly the depression was just as intense as the mania had been.  I learned a lot while I was there in that I was able to see my behavior through her eyes.  I came back home had my medicines re-evaluated and processed the things I learned.  This last episode a few months ago went much better.  I took the medications in time and mitigated some of the intensity of the episode.  Those of us with bi-polar have to take responsibility for our illness and seek help both for ourselves and our families sake.   I think life is as difficult for our families as it is for us.  One thing I would like to tell you if your bi-polar family member does not make the effort to take care of himself you need to make sure that you and your children are able to live healthy lives.

--

Rubye Tuesday

January 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.