Living with Bipolar and Depression

HOPE AND HELP FOR PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR OR DEPRESSION AND THEIR SUPPORTERS

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > My Therapy

SunFairy
Administrator

I'm not the kind of person who can sit in a group situation and 'share'.  I even find it difficult to share with people on a one to one basis.  So I've found a way of therapy.  It's still in my head, I don't really talk, but it seems to be working for me.  I write.  My therapy is in words.  If I can't write, I'm lost.  I feel cut off from myself.  I don't really write about how I feel, but somehow the writing still do the trick. 

What is your therapy?

--

SunFairy

August 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary Nichols

My therapy was and is individual talk therapy, plus medication.  The early days (I've been diagnosed for 30 years) were very hard indeed.  What really helped me through the dark days were "angels" and "green flashes".  I looked so forward to them, and sometimes they were the only thing that kept me going.

An angel is a person who gives  you his or her unqualified love and support.  Someone I didn't know all that well came up to me and said, "It seems like you're going through something really hard right now, but you are stronger than you know and you can get through this."  That made me feel so much better, I resolved to start collecting "angels", and actively looking for them.  They are out there; they're rare, but they're out there.  Keep looking.

A green flash is a moment of incredible beauty.  Sometimes they only last a nanosecond.  They, too, are rare, but they do happen.  The flash of the sunrise behind the mountains might be one for you.  Birds flying and turning in formation might be another.

I also kept a journal in which I wrote down five things to be thankful for each day.  Breathing in and breathing out counted as one, not two.  I found myself actively searching for things to be thankful for and happy about.  There are tons of them!  They don't happen to be big things, little things will do nicely.  Here are some I've written down in the last few days.  Chocolate (especially dark chocolate), children's laughter, sunrise, God and cheesecake.  Anything that you're thankful for will work.

And when the opportunity arises, I try to be an "angel" for somebody else.  

--

Romie Nichols

August 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary Nichols

My therapy was and is individual talk therapy, plus medication.  The early days (I've been diagnosed for 30 years) were very hard indeed.  What really helped me through the dark days were "angels" and "green flashes".  I looked so forward to them, and sometimes they were the only thing that kept me going.

An angel is a person who gives  you his or her unqualified love and support.  Someone I didn't know all that well came up to me and said, "It seems like you're going through something really hard right now, but you are stronger than you know and you can get through this."  That made me feel so much better, I resolved to start collecting "angels", and actively looking for them.  They are out there; they're rare, but they're out there.  Keep looking.

A green flash is a moment of incredible beauty.  Sometimes they only last a nanosecond.  They, too, are rare, but they do happen.  The flash of the sunrise behind the mountains might be one for you.  Birds flying and turning in formation might be another.

I also kept a journal in which I wrote down five things to be thankful for each day.  Breathing in and breathing out counted as one, not two.  I found myself actively searching for things to be thankful for and happy about.  There are tons of them!  They don't happen to be big things, little things will do nicely.  Here are some I've written down in the last few days.  Chocolate (especially dark chocolate), children's laughter, sunrise, God and cheesecake.  Anything that you're thankful for will work.

And when the opportunity arises, I try to be an "angel" for somebody else.  

--

Romie Nichols

August 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.