Living with Bipolar and Depression

HOPE AND HELP FOR PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR OR DEPRESSION AND THEIR SUPPORTERS

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Trees and Branches... and bipolar

SunFairy
Administrator

At a previous company where I worked, a consultant came to visit us one day and told us all about growth.  He used a powerful metaphor, one that made such an impression on management that they've used it for many moons to come.  I'm sure I wasn't the only staff member who got tired of hearing this metaphor over and over and over again.  It basically boiled down to this:  The Tree = the company.  The Branches = The Staff.  If a branch is dead, get rid of it = if a staff member is not performing, take action.  Get rid of him / her if needed.

Five years down the line, I still sometimes think about this metaphor.  But this time I've changed it to suit me.  The Tree = Me.  The Branches = The People In My Life

For some or other reason, people think that the amount of 'friends' you have on social networks like Twitter and FaceBook determines your popularity.  If you want to be friends with 500 people, that's fine, I really don't mind.  It's just now for me.  People surround themselves with so many 'friends' and yet, deep down, they are still lonely.

Okay, back to the metaphor:  as the tree, I need to grow.  I need to get air.  Does my branches, my friends, the people in my life, allow me and help me to grow?  Do they support me?  Do they care for me?  Do they allow some fresh air and sunshine to fall on to me too?  If  they have my best interest at heart, then they can stay.  What they do for me, I do for them.  I become a branch on their trees again.

But if they don't have my best interest at heart, if they're only there for their own good, then they've become dead wood.  Then they're standing in my way of growth and becoming the best version of me I can be.  It's cruel, but for my own sake, I get rid of them.  I pull the plug on the friendship and move on.  They're not helping me to grow.  They're standing in my way, draining me from my inner resources.  And that's not on.

Only you can decide what kind of branches you want on your tree.

--

SunFairy

July 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

livingbipolar

The tree is a good metaphore for life. Roots. We all need to have a strong root system. Our values and spirituality are a part of our root system. And then there is the fruit. We need to nurture the roots, the self and prune the branches (in the right season) so that we can have full lives, health and abundance (fruit).

As a Bipolar I think I have to work a little harder at this to produce balance and meaning in life. This is a choice or lots of little choices that make a positive impact.

July 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SunFairy
Administrator

Glad you see the tree the way I do!  :-)

July 27, 2010 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary Nichols

I love your tree metaphor.  It's perfect.  Prune the dead wood away, and don't forget to water abundantly with kindness, compassion forgiveness and love (both for yourself and all who who are important to you -- the branches).  Do this joyfully, and your tree will flourish.

--

Romie Nichols

August 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.