Living with Bipolar and Depression

HOPE AND HELP FOR PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR OR DEPRESSION AND THEIR SUPPORTERS

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > You don't need medication

SunFairy
Administrator

Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need to take medication if you've been diagnosed by a psychiatrist.  If the doctor wants to give you medication, take it.  Those who tell you that you don't need medication, doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.  I've been through that attitude a couple of times with people - they either want to feed you plants or pray you healthy.  The medication is there to help you.  Take it.  If you want to listen to the clever people around you, why did you bother going to a psychiatrist in the first place?

December 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

elaine

I don't want medication.

Okay I am self diagnosed, but really the only times I evenslightly contemplate going back to a psychiatrist is a day like today where I have been physically down for 4 days. Where I was mentally okay, except for highly irritable, and where I now start slipping into depression.

Then I go read up on treatment and meds and it scares the living crap out of me. I like the highs. I don't want to medicate it away.

I've been misdiagnosed enough. I've been okay for 3 years. I can do it. I want to do it mind over matter.

January 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SunFairy
Administrator

You will know when you are ready to see a psychiatrist again.  Good luck!

January 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Germany

I have been on medication for 4 years and I can say its not good to take medication. I felt like my body had swollen to double size, I had no motivation and my heart beat war irregular. I have not been taking the medication since many years and I still suffer from side effects. Medications are just making the doctors rich and prssing you down in society. It doesnt solve any problem it just depresses you.

February 21, 2012 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter Guess
Site Owner

This issue comes up at all the Bipolar Association/Forum groups (offline) that I have attended. And as Sunfairy has said in the forum, this is also the case with most of the people we chat to in online forums and other blogs.

25 years ago I started on medication after my first episode in February 1987. Initially, I refused to accept my condition till 2000. In between, I did take medication most of the time, but because of my denial I was never honest and cooperative with my doctor so I was incorrectly medicated and continued to live with low grade depression that undermined my health, marriage and family. And because I was stubbornly struggling along, I opened the way for marital breakdown - and eventual divorce in 1997. Also during that time I would have short bursts of hypomanic symptoms - anger outbursts, over-extending myself at work and then the downturn into Depression Island.

My response is simple:

• Bipolar is a medical condition. A severe chemical imbalance. 
  • It is chronic (there for life). 
  • It is progressive - it gets worse if not effectively treated. 
  • It is life-threatening or at the very least, frequently makes your life unmanageable in one or more areas.
  • It can go into remission or underground for a long time - in my case for several years. However, it always had a negative influence in my life when I did not comply with a medical plan.
  • It is not easy to treat and determine the best mix of medication. Why?

1. Denial and lack of understanding, is one of the main reasons from my experience.

2. Clients don’t comply with dosages and tend to interfere through trial and error, instead of immediate and honest feedback to the doctor.

3. Clients don’t hang in through till the side-effects settle, disappear or become more manageable.

4. What works for you may not work for me. Every individual has a unique reaction to different medication.

5. The different types of Bipolar also play a significant role.

6. Bipolar is not just about the body. It involved the body-mind-spirit dimensions. For example, the level of crisis the client is in at different times could indicate the need for counselling and therapy. I would not be where I am today without the therapy, support groups, self-study and taking responsibility for active personal change in my life.

To conclude. This is a tricky area and I know how many struggle with this, have been misdiagnosed, abused by psychiatrists using clients as laboratory rats or where the search for the right cocktail, seems to be a life-long search. However, take your meds! Compliance is the very first principle action in successful outcomes in the recovery process.

Please share your comments and experiences on the Blog or Forum page

--

warm greetings,

peter guess

March 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SunFairy
Administrator

Well said, Peter.

--

SunFairy

March 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.